Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Right now.....It's been 16 years since my last Crystal Pepsi...



In the great Pepsi/Coke debate, I've always been a Pepsi man. My earliest memories were watching the "Must-See TV of the mid-80s": Family Ties, The Cosby Show & Cheers...(I was sleeping by L.A. Law, so therefore, Corbin Bernsen will only be remembered for Roger Dorn in Major League) There was this great commercial with Michael J. Fox (whom still is the most influential actor of my childhood...Family Ties, Teen Wolf, Back to the Future series, Doc Hollywood...and later on in life Spin City...) that aided me in making Pepsi "my choice for a new generation". (Another time, I'll write about the parallel lives that Alex P. Keaton and me have led)

So...Random thought floating through my mind that I feel like venting...Was Crystal Pepsi really that bad? I mean, honestly....Why didn't it catch on....I'd ride my bike to the old T&A Deli (The "T" and "A" stood for Testa-Adams...but yes, I know you thought it...) on Lafayette Ave in Hawthorne where I'd get Crystal Pepsi in those little glass bottles. It was marketing genius. I was prey. Van Hagar song in the ads. Cindy Crawford. You got me. And I drank. And then by the next year...It was gone...At least it lasted longer than Coke II.

Just think about how healthier we'd be if we drank a wonderful clear, caffeene-free, calorie free carbonated beverage?

Hence somewhere in between my love for Diet Pepsi, San Pellegrino has become my choice for the yuppie generation.

2 comments:

  1. Haha yes when did we graduate to sparkling water? Now for some reason I always want that!

    And I liked Crystal Pepsi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was always a Pepsi drinker as a kid too...then I started drinking diet soda (not because of my expanding waistline, but b/c regular soda was too sweet) and I became a diet coke man and I'll never switch back...

    This position was solidified when a few years ago a friend of a friend, who also worked in the pepsi labs, told us he absolutely wouldn't let his kids drink pepsi products...he wouldn't say why, but just that he would never, ever let it happen...

    Although I didn't consider switching back, this pretty much confirmed it...

    ReplyDelete