Monday, May 11, 2009

Slow down, you crazy child....You're so ambitious for a juvenile....



Mother's Day without your Mother. While in many respects its a Hallmark Holiday (only because everyday should be Mothers Day), my parents are in Napa. Away from the kids, in the pre-eminent wine region of our great nation....So I guess that is a true Mothers day. (sans children) Not some Hallmark fabricated, but totally sincere groveling. Just some cab. Merlot, and Pinot. Not to mention great food.....For the week. Godspeed, Vicki & Neal. You deserve it.

The night before a few of us were honored to have dinner with the Bishop of the Diocese of Paterson, Arthur Serratelli in Madison. It was a fascinating & enjoyable night. Then the Bishop left....the spirits kept flowing...and continued to the nuovo chez Sushi Lounge until we were kicked out because the staff wanted to leave.

I wished my mom an early-Happy Mothers Day when I bid them adieu in the drop off area of Terminal B of EWR. At 5 in the morning. After having gone back and forth from DC in that very terminal for two years, I told them that being they subscribed to every carry-on stipulation they'd be fine even if they got there at 6 for a 7:15 flight. But I dropped them off and had 2 and a half hours to kill before I continued my road race habit and ran the Newport 10k in Jersey City.(I'd be remised if I didn't say the Riker Danzig Newport 10k....I do some work with them and they're awesome people).

So what do I do? As a purveyor of all things New Jersey and off the beaten path. (Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives is a reality show to me...except that "Guy" looks more like a singer for the Rascal Flatts than a Food Network celeb) Jersey City is 2 miles away from Newark. As a purveyor of NJ culture, I realize the oldest true diner in America is in Jersey City....The Miss America. So I decide to park my hungover rear there.

I don't exactly train for these races like Steve Prefontaine. And I was crankier than David Hasselhoff without a cheeseburger to cure the hangover blues. So when at the Miss America and you need fuel to run your race, you order the #12: 2 eggs, a hamburger and fries....not to mention copious amounts of coffee and a thorough reading of the New York Post.

But fastforward to now. Did a 10k in a better time than I thought I'd do. Went to a 1st communion with the best people and awesome food. (Congrats Isabel....and I don't know if the Market Basket mac n' cheese was meant for adults but I certainly had my fill) The red wine induced an early bedtime. Than I woke up the next morning to repeat the cycle...This time hoping the Mets can extend their streak to seven.

I love CitiField. Sans the absence of all things that are glorious about the New York Mets of New York town. The fact that I can walk about the stadium and at every turn stand in the lower bowl as if I was at a bar & gorge on Danny Meyer fare while watching my team is something that sounds a little too manufactured for this old-school, baseball purist.
.
So my friend Hughey and I sample beers across the stadium in multiple locations. By the time it was the "Pepsi T-shirt" launch, we were up on the "Pepsi Porch". All the sudden, in a flash, a t-shirt comes whizzing towards us. The guy in front misses and in a Charlie Hustle type way, I caught the t-shirt. (which was then left on a Main/Bergen Line NJ Transit train) CitiField has been pretty good to me. On my first visit, a Ryan Peene cameo was made on SNY....Me at the Shake Shack picking on fries waiting for my burger. (Another similarity between George Louis Costanza and myself....though it was nothing like his US Open excursion)

But still no foul ball. I think everybody who attends baseball games on a regular basis longs for that moment. Its the one little thing that can make a person feel that "Man, things just went my way for a milli-second" (unless you take the foul ball off the head....than that's life)

I got home. Plopped on the couch. On-Demanded Frost/Nixon. I was out cold by 7:45.

So...I can see no reasons...Cause there are no reasons.....What reasons do you need?

Ohhhhh....Tell me why....




hoodia counter


hoodia counter

3 comments:

  1. Wow! Sounds like a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just so you know, my mother-in-law and Fr. Serratelli are best friends and travel together on his annual trip to Italy (or somewhere in Europe)

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I read further, I thought I might make the blog...sharing the story of how I offered you VIP seats and club access to the game on the Saturday b4 Mothers Day and how you (rightfully) chose the First Communion over your beloved Mets...wait a minute...u also left out the part about the bar at 9am!!!

    Well done...

    ReplyDelete